Distance learning and online learning are nothing new. Since 1969, the Open University in the UK has offered distance learning, initially by television and then, as the internet became a viable alternative, online. Given that the situation we are in today is not new, I believe it is imperative that we begin mastering the notion of distance learning. The Coronavirus has significantly disrupted our life. Never should we do other activities when we are at home (you know what I mean, TV, radio, WhatsApp messages, phone calls with your friends, just lying around or sleeping for longer than needed hours).
Here are a few pointers to help you study as quickly as possible:
- If you used to get ready, shower, eat breakfast, and drive to school or university at six in the morning, you might want to spend that one and a half to two hours exercising at home. You could do a little yoga or just jump up and down while walking around your house or garden if you have one. You could also just carry heavy objects that you can find around the house.
- Make sure there are no distractions in your workspace. Ask the people you live with to leave so you can work, and put your phone away in the living room.
- Keep your class schedule in front of you, turn on your laptop, and begin your studies one at a time using the offered online gateway. Don’t forget to make a note of the exercises and homework you have for each course.
- After each class, take a break, and in the afternoon, have a snack and something to drink.
- Start working on your homework after finishing the study portal (keep in mind that you have more time because you are not commuting); try to do all of your assignments and additional reading.
- Once more, if you feel tired, take a little stroll or assist your mother in the kitchen. Avoid packing the living rooms; it is important to keep a decent distance from your siblings.
- Offer to assist your siblings with their homework if you are a quick learner.
- Consider engaging in extracurricular activities. For instance, if you are studying the geography of a nation, research that nation online and create a brief essay to serve as a reminder. Take notes during every class you attend each day and keep them in a book or on your laptop.
- Remember that there are many online courses you may take because you have the time. The world has prepared for this outbreak as though we are expecting it.
Please keep in mind that you must study in order to pass your examinations; you cannot waste your time doing anything and then perform poorly on your tests. We must learn to work independently, read our books, summarise them, and support one another as this year will be a test for all of us. Every minute lost is not beneficial to us and will not advance our cause.
You should keep in mind that if you fail this year, you will have wasted an entire year of your life. You do not want to be known as “the student who failed because of Corona,” as Corona has nothing to do with it; rather, we are the ones who bear responsibility.